- Arab Spring: A series of anti-government uprisings in various countries in North Africa and the Middle East, beginning in Tunisia in December 2010.
- Bunga bunga: Used in reference to parties hosted by the former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, at which various illicit sexual activities were alleged to have taken place.
- Clicktivism: The use of social media and other online methods to promote a cause.
- Crowdfunding: The practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet.
- Fracking: The forcing open of fissures in subterranean rocks by introducing liquid at high pressure, especially to extract oil or gas.
- Gamification: The application of concepts and techniques from games to other areas of activity, for instance as an online marketing technique.
- Occupy: The name given to an international movement protesting against perceived economic injustice by occupying buildings or public places and staying there for an extended period of time.
- The 99%: The bottom 99% of income earners, regarded collectively.
- Tiger mother: A demanding mother who pushes her children to high achievement using methods regarded as typical of Asian childrearing.
- Sifi: A bank or other financial institution regarded as so vital to the functioning of the overall economy that it cannot be allowed to fail, a.k.a. “systemically important financial institution.”
Monday, November 28, 2011